About Binghamton University:
Binghamton University is a world-class institution that unites more than 130 broadly interdisciplinary educational programs with some of the most vibrant research in the nation. Our unique character - shaped by outstanding academics, facilities and community life - promotes extraordinary student success.
Binghamton merges rigorous academics, distinguished faculty and state-of-the-art facilities to engage and challenge its 17,000 students. The high-achieving Binghamton student body also represents a great diversity of life experiences, from first-generation college-goers to international students. Beyond their talent, these classmates share a desire to shape the future through technology, insight, intellectual exploration and community service.
Budget Title: Assistant for University Financial Analysis (MP-5, Management Confidential)*
Salary: Dependent on experience
This position reports functionality to the Audit Committee and administratively to the President (or designee). The Campus Auditor will assist with the internal audit function of the University. This title is in the unclassified service and is designated Managerial/Confidential.
Responsibilities include participation in all facets of the internal audit function on campus including:
- Assist on recommendations and development of internal audit policies.
- Assist in the development and execution of an annual Audit Plan.
- Participate on audit/review fieldwork.
- Contribute to the writing of audit and review reports and communicating findings/issues to management. This includes detailing how the Audit Plan for the prior fiscal year was carried out, the significant findings, and the extent to which audit recommendation changes were implemented.
- Participate in reviewing the adequacy and effectiveness of management's processes for risk management, internal control, and governance to ensure controls efficiently protect the University's assets, and recommend improvements when appropriate.
- Assist on the investigation of allegations of fraud, waste, and abuse in line with other institution departments as required.
- Assist on the coordination with the University's external auditors, including SUNY, Research Foundation for SUNY, and NYS; regarding financial, operational, compliance, special investigative audits and/or inquiries, as applicable.
- Work collaboratively across the University on opportunities for improvement and collaborate with the Risk Management and Administrative Compliance Department on the identification of gaps in compliance controls and validate the effectiveness of management compliance systems.
- Participate in various committees, task forces, and project teams to promote awareness of internal controls, operational effectiveness, participate in appropriate university policy formulation and procedure development.
- Provide advisory or consultation services upon request by the University President and/or campus community.
- Supervise student assistant employees and maintain technical proficiency via continuing professional education.
- Ensure work is consistent with the International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing and in accordance with the Institute of Internal Auditors' (IIA) "Code of Ethics."
- Bachelor's degree in accounting (or related business/finance program)
- A minimum of three years related experience in public accounting or internal audit
- Effective written and verbal communication skills with a highly collaborative personal style and the ability to deliver sensitive information tactfully and professionally
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines
- Experience using Enterprise Software
- Audit experience in a higher education environment
- An active Certified Public Accountant or Certified Internal Auditor certification
- Master's degree in accounting, business administration, or related field
- An understanding of information technology risks and experience with information technology audits
Location/Region: Binghamton, NY